Backstreet Boys Fan Forum

Brian Littrell Comes Home For Christmas

Number of posts : 508
    Registration date : 2007-12-10

Post by mushy's_Bi&Saved on Tue 11 Dec 2007, 5:47 am

Brian Littrell's last two Lexington concerts were in Rupp Arena with a little act you might have heard of, the Backstreet Boys.
    The way his mother, Jackie Littrell, sees it, being part of the chart-topping act has been a "steppingstone" to what he was doing last night: Singing contemporary Christian songs.

"It's wonderful, it's a dream come true," the proud mother said right before her son's concert at her church, Immanuel Baptist. "He'll always be a Backstreet Boy, but the Lord is his heart."

Littrell took a big step into the gospel market last year with the release of his solo debut, Welcome Home, an overtly Christian album reflective of artists he grew up listening to, such as Sandi Patty and Michael W. Smith.

Last night, he brought the solo act home for the first time.

Littrell took the stage at Immanuel Baptist, walking through the same door his parents, Jackie and Harold Littrell, use when they enter the sanctuary to sing with the church's choir.

And mom and dad got the thrill of "backing up my son," as Harold put it, singing two numbers with Littrell as part of that choir.

For You Keep Giving Me, Harold was behind Brian, giving the audience a little idea of where his famous son's showmanship came from. Jackie was in front of him, blushing as Brian sang a few lines about giving her a hard time growing up.

Later in the concert, Littrell's 5-year-old son Baylee sat on his lap, playing with a stuffed beagle and snuggling up to his dad, who sang I'll Be Home for Christmas.

That's a big promise from a man who is busy with two international music careers. The past month, he's been busy promoting the Backstreet Boys, new album, Unbreakable, including a trip to Europe over Thanksgiving week.

There were seven Europeans in the audience who came over from Hanover, Germany, to see Littrell's solo show and then follow him to Arlington, Va., where the Backstreet Boys are performing tonight.

"We wanted to come see them on our vacation," said Chrissy Schulz, part of the group. Compared to Germany, she said, "It's a lot more relaxing here. In Germany, we would have had to camp out for an event like this."

Last night's concert attracted around 1,200 people, according to Tammy Flora, who directed the fund-raiser for Central Baptist Hospital.

Among them were Sheila Drake and Whitney Flora, both 23 and graduates of Littrell's alma mater, Tates Creek High School.

"He's definitely one of our claims to fame," Flora said.

Julie Dillion, a language-arts teacher at Southern Middle School, where the singer attended, recalled one of her students shaking once when she realized she'd been issued Littrell's old spelling book.

For his part, Littrell shared a lot of memories of growing up in Lexington during the concert, which mixed his solo material with Christmas songs, all accompanied by his four-piece band. He betrayed some nervousness from playing for the hometown crowd in his first few numbers. But later, he was soaring through songs such as the contemporary Christmas classic, Mary Did You Know?

"Maybe we can do this again next year," Littrell said to cheers. "Maybe, I'll bring some friends."

Then he sang, "Oh my God, we're back again," from the BSB hit, Everybody (Backstreet's Back). "See," he said, "We've always been singing about God."

Current date/time is Sat 24 Mar 2018, 9:02 pm